When I became your president last September I wasn’t sure what was in store. Yes, the Tom Exhibit was going ahead, however as far as what else we were going to accomplish, I just wasn’t sure.
The OSCC Planning Committee allowed me to transition into the President’s role effortlessly. Their support and guidance has been tremendous. I appreciate their support and direction. But I also have to thank you, the club members. It’s because of your love for photography and your support that I was able to accept and enjoy being your president.
This season the emphasis was on printing. I also stressed that we need to get out and photograph with our peers, and that’s happening. I am very pleased to hear when members meet up to go out and photograph a sunset, hike the trails, or just go for coffee. This year I am also proud to say I have had members come up to me and ask where they can help and that they want to participate.
But first we must look at what we accomplished:
- this year we have doubled our membership (again!) and moved into another facility
- we have a Mission Statement and a Planning Committee Mandate
- at the start of the 2015-16 season we had a newsletter handed out at the meetings
- we have our photos back in the newspaper every month
- Michelle made membership cards
- with help from members, we developed a new logo, and we have access to apparel that can have the logo on it
- we introduced member’s profiles at our meetings
- we exhibited the Tom
- and I am happy to say that we begun to get discounts from local retailers within the arts community.
Wow! We have accomplished a lot this past season.
Next year we will continue with the emphasis on printing and stress that we need to produce a print to finish off the photographic process. We will do this by having a workshop on Workflow; this will be a couple of hours on a process from capturing an image to storage then to print. Then we will have Geoff from Foto Art come talk to us about printing, common mistakes and tips to make our prints better. Plus we will have an afternoon of self-taught photo editing tips. We did this a few years ago and everyone had a great time with it.
Also we will have a workshop on lighting and one on portraiture, not to mention the short workshops at our meetings. Finally, let’s not forget a photo shoot using actors at the Roxy. So, as far as what 2016-17 looks like, well it’s going to be a busy season.
I want to hear from you about your ideas and suggestions. After all, this is your club and the more ideas, the better.
A enjoy your summer. Play safe and I can’t wait to see you in September.
Randy O’Hara, OSCC President